Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A TIme to Give Thanks



As we reflect on giving thanks this time of year, I want to give thanks for life, the Creator of Life, family, friends, students, and life-changing situations. 

Recently I had the chance to be with my sister in the hospital as she had round six of six chemo treatments.  We had a fabulous slumber party in the hospital in spite of ongoing buzzers, numerous IVs and nurses’ visits, countless blood draws, Mayo doctor checks with their entourage, hospital food, quick-paced laps around the unit, many trips to the bathroom with the IV stand, and a multitude of hours waiting for the IV bags to empty. As I reflect on the deep bond my sister and I have, I can’t help but thank God for the people in my life.  

We never know what each day holds and what is required of us, but we do know that we have choices to make.  We can choose to embrace life and the people in our lives---hug tighter, laugh longer, sing louder, pray more, listen better, be expressive, slow down and spend time with each other...

IN this season of giving thanks, have an attitude of gratitude.  Be thankful for each day and ask what God has planned for you.  Enjoy your families, your friends, your jobs, your life,  as it truly is a gift.  

My sister Janel  didn't choose to have cancer, but she chooses to have a positive attitude and daily appreciates each person God has placed in her life.  


No comments: